Wednesday 10 December 2008

I am now swathed in cashmere. Well, nearly. I will be by this time next week, anyway. When I mentioned my trip to the cashmere shop to Hubby, he decided that I should use the 'three criteria' that we have promised to use whenever we make a purchase, ie. 
1. Do I need it?
2. Can I afford it?
3. Can I get it cheaper anywhere else?
It is quite hard to justify a customised copy of a Fenn Wright Mason wrap thingy in cashmere by this method, so I had to resort to emotional blackmail. After all, I said, you have chosen to miss our wedding anniversary by going on a trek with your army mate, so I'm only spending on this what you should have spent on taking me out for dinner. So hurrah, the wrap thing is being woven as I write. Have also bought cute little pink cashmere tank tops for the Twins. They wore them to bed last night, which I'm very happy with as it ups the cost-per-wear total, and I don't feel quite so extravagant dressing my three-year-olds in cashmere.
Yesterday was pretty much a perfect day, actually. I had coffee with a lovely friend, then we went to the cashmere shop, then had a haircut (from someone who trained at Toni & Guy, but only charges a fiver for a cut and blow), then did a bit of writing in a cafe and had lunch (not New Orleans cafe, which I'm boycotting at the moment), then saw marvellous Christmas production at the British School. Couldn't help a bit of a blub when the polar bear cubs came on stage...
So it's back to school to see the play again today, this time with Hubby. I'm planning on getting there half an hour early so we can get a front row seat - the best bit is being waved at. And tonight it will be the fabulous partners' club (two husbands) function in the mess. I checked the seating plan to make sure that the lady who gets my 'secret santa' table present will actually fit into it (the pink pajamas). Have also made sure that she is not sitting on the same table as me, so I don't get so see her face when she opens her present (although I'm sure she will be as thrilled as I would be to get a pair of pink pajamas with a puppy motif from Santa).
After the meal there are party games. I'm quite keen on having a go at the eat-as-much-chocolate-as-you-can-with-a-knife-and-fork-and-gloves-on, but less keen on musical chairs. Apparently it's quite competitive - many of the Brit wives are sensibly wearing trousers for speed and ease of sitting. Must make sure I drink plenty of mulled wine beforehand.

No comments: