Thursday 28 August 2008

Just a quickie. Have had more than half a pint, so this may be somewhat incoherent. Just got back from my second 'do' of the week - life really is one gay old social merry-go-round in British Gurkhas Nepal. Unfortunately at all these (oddly Groundhog Day-ish as they all revolve around speeches and dahl bhat) events, I just seem to get into an interesting conversation with someone when there is a terribly important announcement/speech/dance/bingo/raffle. At least have managed to have a brief chat with a couple of Gurkha wives now so feel marginally less culturally estranged. Sort of...
Last night we had Teej party for all the wives, where we all got to wear our red saris and bindis, just to prove we were married. I think we are also supposed to wash our husband's feet as well, but i skipped that bit. Also my bindi fell off and my sari kept exposing my bra strap - so I feel I'm not a terribly good wife, in Hindu terms anyway. The highlight of the Teej party was the raffle, which had great prizes like a pair of mugs with Mickey Mouse on them, and a box of Ferraro Rocher. The whole thing was set up like some surreal game show, with lots of whooping and clapping whenever a number was called. Incredibly, I actually won a prize. And, yet more incredible, was that it was a lovely black bead choker, which I think I will wear lots. So thumbs up for Teej - think I will make the effort to go again next year.
Tomorrow Son has his first class assembly, which we are all very excited about. He has been practising his two sentences all week. I am expecting to be very proud, and possibly tearful, at around quarter past two tomorrow afternoon.
Don't think there are any functions scheduled next week, which will be very strange and a bit awkward, because it will mean there's nothing to talk about to the people who you don't have anything to talk about to (does that make sense?). I'm sure someone will invent some special occasion over the weekend, to which we will be obliged to attend. Hubby is starting to tire of them as they are really quite samey, but at the moment I'm quite happy to pop out for a beer and a curry in my high heels every week. Tragic - I'm such a cheap date!

No comments: