Monday 24 November 2008

In my opinion...

Hubby is now a fluent Nepali speaker. He thinks. Actually the only sentence he can speak with any degree of grammatical accuracy is: "In my opinion, my wife is a little fat". He has said this with irritating frequency today, as it never fails to elicit loud guffaws from the locals (the loudest of all from Meena-the-cook). As I haven't done the introductory Nepali course, I can only respond with: "I like papaya" or "Come at ten o'clock", which doesn't really work as a witty and acid-tongued response. I will have to resort to just making 'Joey Deacon' faces at him over the cornflakes at breakfast time. Because I'm mature like that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't found an English to Nepalese translator but rattle this off to your old man.
Min mand kigger lidt ligesom Jack Dee. Kun Balder.
It's Danish for My husband looks a little like Jack Dee. Only Balder.

Amy Waif said...

So true! How do you know Danish?

Anonymous said...

Ah, The Monk has many gifts.... One of them being the ability to search online for instant translations. Nepali is not one of the language options, hence the danish.

Amy Waif said...

Indeed. So impressed with your commitment to advising me. Hubby less impressed, but this is probably because I didn't actually speak Danish to him, I just told him that I knew how to say he looked like Jack Dee, only balder, in Danish. Incidentally, I have always thought of him as more of a Kevin Bacon or Ethan Hawke type. Am I just sadly deluded? Admittedly there is sometimes a bit of Basil Fawlty going on there. And I do like to think of myself as Sybil. Quite fancy that blue/silvery hair she has, too.