Tuesday 15 September 2009

yoga anger

Have to get this off my chest. I just walked out of yoga. The yoga teacher told us that yoga cures cancer within six months, and this is "fully scientific". For some reason I saw red. I was absolutely livid. Maybe its because I'd just seen on the news that Patrick Swayzee has just died of pancreatic cancer. I don't know. I tried to hang on in there and calm down, but then he started telling us that if we rub our left thumb it will improve our eyesight, or something. Now, I'm not anti complementary therapies at all. I have reflexology regularly to calm hormonal madness, and it does help. Telling me that yoga will reduce blood pressure, I could cope with, but telling me that it can cure cancer is just a load of rubbish. And I think what annoys me is that all of us will have our lives affected by cancer at some point, and nonsense like this just gives people false hope.
I'll go back to yoga again and if he can stay off the pseudo-scientific pontification and stick with the lotus position then I may start attending regularly again.
Surely yoga is supposed to calm you down, not make you angrier than a big slice of angry pie?

7 comments:

allijulivert said...

Quite right, too. Not just false hopes but may prevent people from taking effective treatment! My SIL has recovered completely from leukemia (Ed's wife) and it wasn't from doing yoga! Cue to present him with a copy of Bad Science. And find another yoga teacher :)

allijulivert said...

Do you know I dreamt about you last night, Amy. We were walking round Cité de l'Espace (Toulouse) with Sons (yours and mine) but your Twins had run off to play somewhere.

Amy Waif said...

Well we must do it for real sometime - but maybe let the sons run off as well!
I dreamt that someone asked me to run off to a hotel with him, but I said no because I suddenly remembered that I was married with kids. My conscience is alert even when the rest of me is asleep - shame!

allijulivert said...

This really made me laugh. I hope Mr. Waif is reading your blog!

Amy Waif said...

Mr Waif may well be reading this as he is in Pokhara overnight. He only ever seems to read the blog when he is away (homesick or merely checking up, I'm not sure which). On the other hand, he may be in a bar with the dancing dwarfs.

Merry Monk said...

A bloke where I work tought me how to fell my chi recently. He said it was right in front of me all the time as were everyone ele's chis. All those chis and no toast.

Merry Monk said...

Good on you sister for walking out of yoga. I too made a stance once. I walked out of a youth orchestra practise as I had been told off for reading The Eagle comic instead of counting bars rest. Oooh yes, The Monk was quite the rebel. The members of the woodwind section swooned as I threw my donkey jacket over my shoulder, packed up my trumpet (taking care not to forget my mutes and stand) folded my music, drained my whiskey glass and stubbed out my ciggie and threw a dismissive glance at the conductor before making my exit.
I came back after 5 minutes because my sister told me off and I was needed for Crown Imperial.