Tuesday 3 February 2009

no sausages on sticks

Well, he was a German count, and I think she was a waitress in Mongolia, before she became a countess. They have houses in Berlin, Paris, London and Kathmandu, and a breed horses in Mongolia. I wanted to find out more, but was concerned that I was coming across as a nosey old bag, rather than just making conversation (which was of course true). I was right about the absence of sausages on sticks, but wrong about the lobster thermidor. Instead we had pasta, served on trestle tables, under a blue and white marquee. There was not one single party game, and the mum spent the whole party smoking and drinking wine. She was wearing a fuscia satin blouse and a fur jacket ('practical-but-elegant' she described it - although not that practical for a four-year-old's birthday party in my opinion) which might explain the absence of messy/rowdy party games. But the Twins seemed to have a good time, and so did I, apart from being sat next to the counts nephew at lunch, who was without question the rudest person I have ever met. German, too. Which is a shame, because during our total of four years of Germany postings I developed quite a fondness for Germans, but he was just sterotypically arrogant. Anyway, the Japanese bath experience with the missionaries was pretty good. The hot tub was really just a super-heated garden pond in the backyard of a downmarket sushi bar, but somehow it was very pleasant indeed, although I felt a bit sorry for the two Nepali men who happened to be already there when the six-woman 'crusade' arrived (one of them kept fiddling with his mobile - do you think he was taking sneaky shots of us to upload onto a dodgy website? There might be some depraved fetishists out there who have a thing about middle-aged missionaries with flabby thighs. Maybe.).
The writing has been going pretty well this week, although no love scenes to write, so Hubby has been mercifully spared 'afternoon delight' and able to get on with focussing on interesting things like bathroom renovations and swimming pool roof logistics.
Amazingly, the internet seems to be a bit more reliable now, to the extent that I've been able to order two pairs of shoes, three bras, six thongs and a new bikini, which is jolly good news, except that I've ordered them all in my 'old' size, and will now have to redouble my diet and exercise regime in order to be able to fit into them. 
But I'm not going to the gym tonight and you can't make me. It's too cold and I want a hot chocolate in bed. 
Goodnight.

No comments: