Saturday 19 July 2014

Hi, how are things? Twins have just been out dancing in the rain - we've just had the mother-of-all rainstorms. I love it; it feels all monsoon-ish, and I can almost imagine we're back in Nepal (until I have to get off my bum and do housework, that is). So it turns out that my fake tan application wasn't in vain; we have had what counts as a 'heatwave' in the UK (although in my humble opinion, anything below thirty degrees doesn't really count), and what's happened? Everyone's been moaning about it. "Oooh, isn't it hot?" they say. As if that's a bad thing. Maybe it's because as Brits we're so rubbish about complaining about the things we should (poor service in shops, etc.) that we misdirect our ire onto the weather. It's either too hot, too cold, too rainy, too windy, or - if it's changing from one of these states to the other -  "You just don't know where you are with it, do you?"
So today we've had sunshine and storms and I love it. I love love love the fact that it was worth my while applying my (slightly streaky) fake tan and (a bit chipped) nail varnish to my toes. I love the fact that last night I sat out until gone nine on the grass outside the sailing club whilst two-thirds of my offspring sailed up the river Trent (the remaining third was a refusnik who decided to read 'Pink' magazine instead of having a watery adventure with her siblings, and then came over all emotional when I reminded her that only sailors got to have a can of fizzy pop at home time - at which point all the other people at the sailing club made me feel guilty for making the little cripple cry...). And I love the fact that I'm sat here in a sleevless dress and I don't even have goosebumps.
The summer hols are almost upon us. Bring on the heatwave, and keep it here until September! xxx

No comments: