Wednesday 7 December 2011

a bit tired and faintly viral...

Hi, how are you? I'm feeling a bit tired and faintly viral. Having had ill children sharing my bed every night this week I am now a) suffering from sleep deprivation, and b) succumbing to whatever lurgy it is they've had (it seems to be a yummy combination of tummy bug and cold, a kind of buy-one-get-one-free virus, if you will). Twins were off school yesterday, and I had to get a baby sitter in in the morning so that I could get to uni for my 'consultation' (I think once you're postgrad they stop calling them tutorials), which was basically just a bit of a chat about my work. When I set off on my bike the sun was shining, although the clouds looked quite dark, and I remarked to a passing neighbour that it looked like it would snow later. How prophetic I am. It started to sleet just as I was far enough away from home not to be able to turn back and get the car, and continued to sleet all morning, so I had to cycle back in it as well. I had a very soggy pashmina by the time I got home, and ended up retiring to bed for a bit to warm up and recover, whilst the ill kids watched yet more CBBC.
Last night I only had one child in bed with me, and that was only for the latter part of the night, so I thought it might be safe to ship them both off to school today. Had a productive morning working on the next academic essay (dialogue and point of view in Graham Greene's Two Gentle People) and decided to skive circuits in favour of an officers' wives' lunch in the mess - which sounds posher than it was. As it turned out it was toasted sandwiches and lots of talk about how Waitrose really is cheaper than Tesco (I kept quiet about my Lidl addiction) and I wasn't too gutted when I got a call from school telling me that Twin 1 was feeling sick and had to come home (I wonder if I could do a deal with the school secretary to do that next time I'm listening to a conversation about the best value turkey to buy?).
The good news is that as it's wednesday supper is hot dogs in front of the telly, hurrah, and my wednesday night chore is to clean the bedroom, which Bertha is doing as I write, so I may end up with almost no chores tonight and an early night, fingers crossed!
Take care xxx
ps - I will try to find something more exciting to tell you about next time...

No comments: