Thursday 13 June 2013

I'm sandy-eyed and fuzzy-headed because it's been a bit of a sleepless week, due to toothache (twin 1) and cough (twin 2) and also staying up late doing meditation (yep, I do see the irony in getting tired and stressed because of meditation). As a result of ill kids and emergency doctors/dentist appointments, I haven't been able to do much outdoor exercise. Oh, alright, none. But, I have discovered funky yoga. Thanks to my weekend with bendy friends in Rome, plus online nagging from my ex-yoga teacher on Facebook, I have been feeling that I really should do something stretchy, as I am rather embarrassingly - erm - inelastic. The problem is, I do find traditional yoga a teensy bit boring. So the other night I put my newly-downloaded Ministry of Sound running trax mash up full blast through the headphones and set about a full thirty minutes of sun salutations. Then, I followed it with half an hour of yoga nidra from an app on my phone (with a backtrack of forest, ocean or rain sounds). This made me feel relaxed-yet-alert, which I guess is the point, but not entirely helpful at eleven o'clock at night, especially not when followed by a night of dishing out inhalers, Calpol and inviting sad little girls into the other side of the bed. Oh well, I'm exhausted but with stretchier hamstrings and a sense of wellbeing, so that has to be good I guess. I'm sold on the whole funky yoga thing, though - I've done it already tonight (the ill girls joined in, but soon ditched yoga poses for general prancing around the room), so all I've got  left to do is the meditation, which means I might be in with a fighting chance of getting to sleep before midnight. But first I have to do the kitchen floor. Yes, I do, because if it's still in this state tomorrow, you will tut and say bitchy things about my lack of cleanliness to my next door neighbours, and you know what they're like...

No comments: