Tuesday 29 April 2008

What wild and thrilling adventures have been happening here recently? Hmmm, well, I bought some new trainers. Yeah, I know, living the dream and all that. But for a woman who only makes it off camp for one of three reasons:
(1. taking Son to school
2. medical appointments with kids
3. trudging round Lidl looking for cheap nappies)
then making it as far as a non-food shop in a neighbouring town was quite a rare treat.
Although obviously it had to be fitted in after Son's swimming lesson and before the Twins woke up from their afternoon sleep.
So it was hardly a leisurely spot of retail therapy. In fact, as I had Son with me, it was more of a disorganised stumble from car to till and back again.
Now, I love my son, and I'm always being told how lovely he is (which he is), but he is still a boy, and after his swimming lessons he is a tired boy, with the concentration span of a small flea, and a similar propensity to jump around randomly. Whilst I was discussing with the sales assistant the benefits of Saucony over Asics and which was better suited to a neutral running style, Son managed to knock over a bike in the window display. I apologised and everyone was very nice about it.
We continued our discussion about trainers when I caught sight of something out of the corner of my eye. I turned to see Son lying on his back, with his head underneath the changing room curtain, so as to have a good look at whoever was inside. Of course I immediately demanded he came out, apologised profusely to the sales assistant yet again and suggested to Son that he also apologise to whoever was in the changing cubicle.
I of course meant that he should just say sorry from outside. But no, quick as a flash (he is eager to please) he lay on is back again, wriggled his head back under the curtain and yelled 'sorry' to the poor customer inside. After which I felt obliged just to buy something and skedaddle asap. Which meant I have ended up with really quite expensive running shoes. And they are pink. Twins love them but Son thinks they are yeauch, and I secretly agree. Tried them out on Sunday and they don't make me go any faster either.
So after that flirtation with the delights of shopping, I may just stick to the school-doctor-Lidl routine in future. Safer and cheaper and way, way less embarrassing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you should have got was a Brooks Beast. Bit of a block on the foot but great for stability and good for a over pronator. Oooh yes. The Beast changed by running completely. I would willingly sell a kidney for a Beast. Good shoe, The Beast. Good shoe.

Amy Waif said...

yes but do they come in pink?!

Anonymous said...

Of what import is colour when your feet will be a Scooby Doo type blur? Surely the trainers will be invisible in a great cloud of dust as you pound your way TO VICTORY!!

I'm not sure about pink, but they certainly cater for the lady runner. Maybe there's a copy of Heat magazine in the sole.