Friday 11 February 2011

literary dogging?

Hurrah, my heroine has at last snogged her man. It took until page 100 to get there, but she's done it. Now she just has to find her dad and live happily ever after (except, of course, it won't be that easy. Oh, dear me no, it will all go down hill after page 110 and not come good again until about page 200). I was sitting in my living room this morning and I just couldn't settle down to writing the snogging scenes (haven't actually tackled sex scene - what if it gets published and my mother reads it?), so I went out to a Japanese cafe and suddenly the words flowed. Somehow or other it is easier to write steamy scenes in a public place, it seems - is this the literary equivalent of dogging?

Hubby (aka Jack Sparrow) says he has been cleaning bilges all day. I'd like to feel sorry for him. I'm really trying to empathise...Nope, can't do it.

Now, the other exciting news I have been meaning to tell you is that Bryan Adams is coming to Kathmandu next week. All the Canadians are very excited (all three of them). I think the only thing that could make them more excited would be if the Canadian ice hockey team arrived. Everyone is going to see him. Well, everyone except me, apparently. I used to like Bryan Adams...but that was when I was sixteen. He must be pushing sixty now, surely? I think there's so much wild excitement because nobody famous ever comes to Kathmandu (well, Geri Halliwell came out as a UN ambassador the other year, but I'm not sure if that counts). The thing is, I remember, aeons ago, being in South Africa not long after the end of apartheid when UB40 came to play. Everyone was going because this was post-apartheid SA and UB40 were (are?) a 'mixed race' group, etc. And I remember thinking that I didn't actually really like UB40 and wouldn't ever go and see them in the UK, but got peer-pressured into it because everyone would be there. You know what? They really weren't very good, probably because the only people who could afford tickets were rich whites, and the stadium was almost empty. Now I might be wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be a similar story here with Bryan Adams (despite the fact that everywhere he goes, the kids want to rock)...
It's ten to ten. Is that too late to start a DVD? It is, isn't it. Okay, I'll just finish my gin and go to bed then. x

No comments: