Sunday 17 April 2011

unwelcome blood-letting and God

Had a spot of unwelcome blood-letting this weekend.
We went up to the welfare bungalow in Kakani for the last time, to see the Himalayas and have a nice little country walk with the kids. Sounds nice, no? Yes, we thought so too. But fate is a cruel mistress, and she brought low cloud that destroyed our mountain view, and a guide who misinterpreted us saying, 'don't take us through the jungle because there's no view and the uneven ground is hard for our little disabled daughter' as 'take us through the precipitous and thorny jungle, we want to carry our disabled daughter through the scrub, and while you're at it, please get lost at least twice and make sure you stop for a long time somewhere damp so that the leeches have a chance to crawl up our trousers and have a lengthy feast.' - must be a language thing....
Hubby would have been hopping mad, had he had any energy left to hop after carrying his daughter on his shoulders through the jungle and losing a considerable amount of blood to the festering slimy creatures.
Eugh.
I can take spiders, and cockroaches, but leeches just churn my stomach. Two of them got me, the bloody horrors.
In the visitors' book at Kakani, there were lots of comments about how relaxing, scenic, etc. Kakani is. One woman, describing the mountains, had even been moved to write: 'Thank you God for your creation'. Now, I'm not a complete atheist...but I do find it a little hard to believe in a supernatural omnipotent being creating leeches. Surely, if you had all the power of the universe at your disposal, you could find something other than leeches to set your mind to on the seventh day, or whenever it was. Perhaps God was busy creating something more useful/beautiful than leeches, but had only just got started when His phone went, or He felt an urgent call of nature, or maybe it was just a job that He'd left until after lunch on a friday afternoon and He just didn't finish making them properly...I mean, He's only human isn't he? Oh, no, that's right, He's a supernatural omnipotent being so there is no excuse, no, none whatsoever for creating leeches.
I read Richard Dawkin's God Delusion a couple of years ago, and although it was powerfully argued by a man of fierce intellect, I wasn't one hundred per cent convinced. However, were he to have included a chapter on the existence of leeches as clear evidence of the non-existence of God, I think I would have been more readily persuaded.
Right, I'm off to sleep now, and I'm going to try not to dream of horrible slimy things crawling up my legs and sinking their little fangs into my flesh.
Nightie night xx

No comments: