Wednesday 27 April 2011

topless feminists?

We've got a bandh (national strike) today so the kids are off school, which leaves my heroine still not having found out the truth about her new boyfriend (I didn't write much yesterday because I was in a bad mood, and also had to do a meat shop - boo). Maybe I could write something tonight, instead of reading Cloud Atlas until way past my bed time? Desperate to get chapter eight written before I go off on my trek, on Monday (to Langtang - no I don't know anything about Langtang, either, but I will do within two weeks!).
Nobody seems sure what today's bandh is about, which seems to defeat the object, really. I always thought the point of a protest was to highlight your cause. If I find out, I'll tell you. I'm sure it won't be anything nearly as exciting as topless Ukrainian femininists, though (did you see that article in the Guardian this week? Good for them, although I can't help feeling that a topless protest might be a bit parky in the Ukraine - maybe it's a bit warmer this time of year? I'm guessing they probably don't do the topless bit in the midst of the Ukrainian winter - do you think they just put on those 'rude' aprons, like other people's dads used to do at family barbequeues in the 1970s? Now that would be a warmer option, and also bring a nice ironic-retro feel to the public displays of outrage, don't you think?)
Right, time to get Son off the play station and into the swimming pool.
Take care x

No comments: