Tuesday 21 February 2012

Hair-not-by-Pam

Hi, sorry I've not been in touch for a while. I have been busy zooming up and down the M1 with three kids, two rats and a dog. Actually I toyed with the idea of tossing the rats out of the car window at seventy miles an hour, but I managed not to. Oh, they deserved it. Guess what the pesky little critters did? We went to visit lovely C and her family and the rats escaped inside her sofa. Her husband had to cut open the sofa to get them out. Everyone was very lovely and diplomatic about it all, but I could sense from the general aura that really they couldn't wait to see the back of us.
Today I didn't go to Hair-by-Pam. Nice M, my hairdresser, had the day off and suggested that I get my roots done at her house instead. This was good because it was half the price of having it done in the salon (although I did miss out on earwigging old ladies' conversations). It was also good because M does have hair straighteners and serum at her home (unlike the salon, which only has curlers and setting lotion). What was not so good was having to kneel down in front of her bath and wash bleach out of my own hair. Afterwards I looked very sleek and blonde, but a little dishevelled and somewhat soggy.
I'm feeling really quite smug tonight because I'm in bed before eleven thirty, and all the housework is done. Well, all the important stuff (who really cares about dusting?). Oh, alright then, I've done the washing up and set Bertha off to sort out the living room carpet - the rest can wait (until we get posted). The point is, it's not too late to read Lolita, which I'm supposed to finish by tomorrow. I tried reading it during half term...no, I'm lying, I didn't at all. Lovely C had a big stack of Hello magazines next to my bed at her house, so I just read them instead. I did read a page or two this morning during my Hair-not-by-Pam experience, but it did seem more appropriate to drink tea and speculate on the morality of her neighbour demanding a divorce from her husband whilst he was still in Afghanistan (What do you think? After the third cup of tea, and just before the highlights had taken, we decided that it was just plain wrong - she should wait until he's home) than to read about a fictional pedophile in fifties America.
Anyway, I ought to get back to Lolita now or I will look even more ill-informed than ususal in the workshop tomorrow.
Take care xxx

No comments: