Monday 8 April 2013

Help! I'm stuck in the silver-haired NIMBY ghetto with no way out!

Yep, I've taken the kids to Devon to see the parents.

I know, but I came prepared (or so I thought) by bringing my teeth-bleaching kit. Because in the evenings, if I have my bleaching mouthguard in, then I can't get sucked into late night 'discusssions' over a glass of red about wind farms/solar panels/the legality of the Iraq war, etc. Or so I thought. What I failed to factor in was that there would be a huge power cut shortly after we arrived, so in a bid to stay warm and keep the kids entertained, I took Dad up on his offer to take us with him on his trip to Mole Valley Farmers (first mistake: we should all have just stayed behind in the cold house with no TV). It's about a twenty minute drive. I asked Dad about his voluntary work, because he kept mentioning how very busy he was. That was my second mistake, because of course he's really busy campaigning against wind farms. However, I looked out of the window and pretended I already had my mouthguard in so as not to make any NIMBY accusations and get drawn into a pointless argument. Then, to fill the silence, he gestured out of the window at a solar farm in the distance and started to talk about the ruination of the Devon countryside. That's when I made mistake number three:
Him: Look at that! Ruining the Devon countryside, and there's fields more over there!
Me: We really can't talk about this because I think our opinions may differ on this one. Let's find something else to talk about.
Him: Well, you say opinion, but I say fact; it's a fact that...
Me: No, we really can't discuss this, because I don't want to fall out with you.
Him: Well, let's just see what your opinion is in ten years time when...
Me: We can't discuss this, Dad, really.
Him: But have you considered that...
Me: I mean it. If you carry on talking about this, I will go mental and we will fall out. We have to talk about something else.

Silence for a bit. Me fuming.

Him (in a voice that suggests I'm all hormonal and irrational): Well, I suppose I'd better be quiet until we get to the main road then.

I know. I know I should just have kept quiet and let him rant on about wind and solar power being a blot on the landscape. What to do? Wear a mouthguard during the day as well?

I'm having an early night tonight. And I'm off to visit my sister first thing tomorrow, before my father has a chance to start up any more interesting 'discussions', but in the meantime, if anyone reading this happens to be anywhere in the South Hams, please come and rescue me!

No comments: