Thursday 25 April 2013

I'm fantasizing about breakfast. If I get up as soon as my alarm goes off, then it's only 8 hours - and if I get up that early, I might even have time for something exciting like fried eggs. Or, if I stay awake for another hour and a half, then technically it will be tomorrow already, and I could just raid the fridge. Yes, I'm on another 'fast' day... other than not eating, what else has been going on? Hmmm, no dead pets so far this week, so that's good. We got a very nice consolation card from the vet reassuring us that we absolutely did what was best for the undead (no longer) dog and the rat with kidney failure. Ah, I shall almost miss my monthly visits there with sick animals (almost).
Today I have been mostly teaching the present perfect and introducing the present perfect continuous and hoping nobody asks me when you use one instead of the other (because I didn't get as far as reading that page when I was lesson planning). Of course someone did ask, so I just said the difference was very subtle and not to worry about it too much at this stage. Really, I should be a politician, my fudging skills are wasted in the classroom (and I'd probably make a better MP than ESOL teacher - I bet nobody ever asks Harriet Harman difficult grammar questions).
In between teaching grammar reluctantly (Monday & Weds) I have been trying to write the novel. I went to a cafe yesterday to write a scene where my poor heroine goes back to the place it all began. The problem was it's all a bit upsetting (for her, and also for me as I write it), felt a bit tearful, which is slightly embarrassing in the cafe-next-to-Lidl on a Tuesday afternoon, to come over all unnecessary. Anyway, my heroine only got as far as the pub, she's using delaying tactics, and who can blame her? Facing the past will be painful, poor lamb. I will have to get straight down to it tomorrow, and finally get her the closure she needs. But not until I've had fried egg on toast, and possibly the remains of the birthday cakes...(oh, I forgot to say, it was the Twins' birthday at the weekend. They managed to have the longest ever birthday party; it lasted a full twenty three hours. Okay, they only invited two friends, but still. Next year I might suggest something other than a sleepover, that possibly doesn't involve hearing various children shouting/crying on the trampoline and spending all of Sunday afternoon tidying up. I'm thinking cinema or show - something quiet and dark that only lasts two hours tops).
Right, well, the quicker I sleep, the sooner it'll be fried egg time.
Goodnight! xxxx

2 comments:

allijulivert said...

Had to laugh when I read about your escapade with the dreaded present perfect continuous! There are some pages of the course book that just need to be left out :)

Amy Waif said...

indeed. I'm going back to doing some nice 'conversation' lessons for a bit...