Sunday 16 March 2008

bye bye Grumpy Hector?

I know, it's been nearly a whole week since I last wrote, which is pretty pants, but in my defence it has been a week of D&V - I will spare you the details.
Anyway, my half marathon training is still happening. It has been a week now since I started my training plan, and I have almost kept to it. Okay, I've missed out the difficult sessions. But then again, as I said it has been a week of D&V in our house.
And now I'm really really looking forward to being in Nepal, where we will have a cleaner/housekeeper, hurrah, so endlessly churning things through the washing machine will become a thing of the past, hurrah again.
(I have just asked Hubby to pour me a G&T and he is chuntering about it because I've requested ice and lemon, and he's in agony, apparently, having done an eight mile march thing (CFT?)yesterday - not sure how a blister on his toe affects his ability to open the fridge freezer, but hey ho, I have my drinkie now anyway. Quite fancy a splash of angostura bitters in it actually, but don't dare ask. The face he has on is worse than the angry seagull...can't think how to describe it...bullgog with trapped wind, maybe).
Can't remember if I've written about the half marathon already? Don't think so...
A friend of mine has been nagging me to run another half marathon since I reluctantly did one with her in September. I said I could only do one if it was:

a) before we were posted
b) local
and
c) downhill

I thought these were pretty tough criteria and there was no way she would find anything.
She didn't (her suggestion was a barmy cross country thing in Wales - no way!). However, another friend did, and managed to persuade me into entering, before telling me he'd just done his back in so wouldn't actually be running himself. (He said he hurt his back by rolling over in bed to let a fart out, but I suspect it was from exessive rumpy pumpy. Or was that the other way round?)
So I'm doing it anyway. Apparently the course is downhill after about the eight mile mark, so my plan is to get some of those trainers with the wheels in the heel and just coast for the last five miles.
In the meatime I'm up and at 'em at seven thirty on a saturday morning, trudging round camp in the rain.
I'd like to say I feel a whole lot better for it, but in fact I just feel a bit knackered and grumpy.
Talking of which, Hubby (aka Grumpy Hector) has just got rid of our marital bed.
He says he never sleeps properly at home and this is why he's always so grumpy. He says he is never grumpy in Iraq or Afghanistan. This may be because dealing with mortars, rockets and insurgents is considerably less of a challenge than spending any amount of time in the bosom of his family. Or alternatively it may be the bed. We'll see, now the bed has gone.
If Grumpy Hector is still in residence tomorrow, then we'll know it's not the bed...

No comments: