Saturday 18 July 2009

more summer stuff

Sorry, it's been over a week, which is a bit rubbish of me. A week in which I have mostly been admiring spaceships and princesses. I almost wrote something the other night but made the big mistake of posting some of my profound thoughts about the God Delusion on the Richard Dawkins website. Turns out I'm a moron, and my musings are the unedited tosh of someone bordering on insanity. Or at least that's pretty much what the other people in the forum said. I'm too scared to go back and see what else has been written recently. So, anyway, I wasted one spare slot of time feeling stupid and demoralised, and the rest of the week has been busy with stuff.
I have been vaguely trying to continue the book, but that too has suffered from the all-engulfing morass that is summer holidays.
One night Hubby insisted on taking me to 'movie night' on camp. This consisted of sitting next to the padre, watching a pirated copy of Star Trek on a not-very-big screen. The sound quality was dreadful, and something in what looked like Russian kept popping up on the screen. Hubby told me there would be ice-cream, which was true, but you had to wait until the very end to get some, and it was only vanilla or chocolate. Also, I was under the misapprehension that Star Trek would be a comedy, because it had Simon Pegg in it. Well, he was quite funny, but the rest of it really wasn't. There were, however, lots of boys being sweaty and macho, and lots of explosions in space. Remind me never to watch a film that has 'Star' in the title ever again.
So, Hubby was officially starts his summer leave today. It's a Saturday, and he is on leave, so of course he went into work. Luckily Son and Twins were too busy making a royal palace out of the sofas this morning to notice.
Hubby also says he will have to go into work on Monday as well. This is because he has to 'populate his Ojar'. No, I don't know what that means, either. I think it's to do with filling in a form to say what job he'd like next. But of course it wouldn't be the army if you actually used a language people could understand to explain things. 'Populate' apparently means writing, although it does leave me with the image of Hubby drawing lots of stick men and their houses all over a big piece of paper in blue crayon and sending that to someone important behind a big desk somewhere.
Anyway, he is at least off tomorrow and I have booked transport to take us to Bouddha, a big buddhist stupa on the other side of town (which also handily has lots of nice shops and cafes around it, so we can pretend to be culturally-minded, whilst actually doing what we normally do, which is drinking coffee and eating cake).
Anyway, must go, Hubby is turning the sitting room back from a royal palace into a sitting room and he keeps shifting me off various chairs and sofas, so I think I'll have to get out of the way and let his inner interior designer hold sway for a bit (I have to say the big sofa does look much better under the standard lamp, but I'm less convinced by the crown and ballet shoes placed artfully in the centre of the rug).
Cheerio x

2 comments:

Merry Monk said...

I once had my bottom felt by a buddhist monk at a stupa (stoopa?). Maybe that's what made me merry.
Fancy not knowing what country AHA were from. I am currently pressing my tongue against the inside of my bottom lip and its aimed at YOU.
Incidently AHA were on Radio 5 Live this morning discussing their new album. They certainly didn't sound Swedish.

Amy Waif said...

D'you know I had my bottom felt at the stupa.I thought of you, and your traumatic experience and whirled around, expecting to face a lascivious monk. But no, it was only a four-year-old daughter. A bit disappointing, actually.
Can you tell the difference between a swedish and a danish accent? I'm well impressed!