Monday 10 November 2008

parents - yikes!

Quick one. Have to get one in before somewhat scary parental visit - they arrive tomorrow evening. I have had some emergency reflexology today to calm me down. It will be lovely to see them and I'm sure it will be fine (so long as I remember to breathe deeply, think happy thoughts and not get embroiled in any of Dad's late night 'discussions' - discussion being a euphemism for reactionary ranting).
Kathmandu is getting colder by the day, but luckily I have taken to cashmere layering. I'm pretty excited about it getting really cold in January as it will necessitate another visit to the pashmina shop. I have been shopping for slipper socks and flannelette pajamas on ebay (the latter turned out to be baby pink with patterns of cartoon puppies on, so I think they may possibly end up as a secret santa present at the wives xmas party - but don't tell anyone). Hubby says he needs slippers, so that's his xmas present sorted. He needs a tool kit as well, he says. Whatever happened to the wild and reckless young soldier I married?! Still, if I can get excited about the prospect of a new cashmere tank top, I can't exactly claim to be the wild and reckless young filly I once was (actually I wasn't - I mean, how can anyone who has Dire Straits on their playlist claim to be wild and reckless in the slightest? think I was probably only ever as wild and reckless as a warm cup of cocoa. In fact I remember a drunken discussion in my twenties when we were asking people in the group what kind of food they thought your personality was. I was hoping to be something exotic, lobster thermidor at the least, but the conclusion was that I was an Irish coffee with not enough whiskey and too much cream. Talk about damning with faint praise.).
Went to Remembrance Sunday at the Embassy, with the kids. Everyone remarked on how good they were, but what they didn't realise was that they were getting drip fed Smarties throughout the entire service. It was good to go. I blubbed at the Last Post, of course. The Embassy handily enough has a climbing frame and clubhouse, so it was actually a pretty nice family outing, which seems like a strange thing to say about Poppy Day. There is another one on camp tomorrow (kids will be at school, but I might take Smarties anyway).
Then Parents arrive in the evening. 
I'm expecting to have my re-sitting-maths-A-level-without-revision nervous dream tonight in anticipation...

No comments: