Wednesday 2 September 2009

waiting for brownie

I'm waiting for some chocolate brownies to cook. I have to provide something for both "The Big Brew" (a charity fundraising thing on camp) and a PTA tea party on Friday. I am so useless at that kind of thing that even with plenty of help from Betty Crocker (ie. I bought a packet mix, so only had to add water), my muffins were sloppy and lacklustre. I blame this partly on cooking at high altitude (no, really, you have to set your oven to a higher temperature and add extra flour) and also my US cup to fluid ounces conversion: the chart said that one cup was equivalent to half a pint or eight fluid ounces. Well, which is it? Because on my jug half a pint is more than eight fluid ounces by some not inconsiderable amount. In the end I just guessed. Which is probably why the muffins are more just puffy pancakes, really. I hope the brownie does a bit better. I have high hopes for the brownie because they are acceptable in a variety of consistencies - some people like them cakey, and some prefer squidgy. I guess if they don't work either then I can mush the whole lot up with some melted chocolate and call them 'high altitude truffles' or something. Anyway, I'm sure no-one will care, it's just that my lack of domesticity gives Hubby ammunition for mickey-taking. But when was the last time he baked anything, hmmm? It's been a good twelve years since the last treacle tart, and I always thought that was a bit on the gungy side.
Hopefully it's cooked now...oops actually, I think I might smell burning...

2 comments:

allijulivert said...

How un-British of you, dear. A SAHM who doesn't bake! Next time you could get your cook to make something for you to take.

Emma said...

i think american and uk pints are different - just to add to the confusion! not that i'm a baking expert of course, but i am a 'download a recipe at the last minute' person, so i usually have to make it up and pray for an edible result!