Wednesday 15 September 2010

Must be a nicer person...

Right then, I only have eighteen minutes of charge left on this laptop and you can't make me go all the way downstairs to get the charger (I'm feeling ill, again, another little sip of viral soup).

I have a friend, who I met up with the other day, who says that when you get irritated by someone, it's usually some fault in your own psychological make up that's bugging you (yes, she probably did say bugging you, because she is Canadian). She says that when you point the accusing finger at someone, you have four fingers pointing at yourself.
I have been thinking about this.
I have been trying to have less prejudice, and be mindful of my own less-than-perfect nature.
I have been trying...
However, I have decided that I cannot totally respect someone who names their child after a superannuated pop-country fusion singer. Even if that person is jolly nice, and has even invited me to their birthday party, there is a part of me that just can't, well, get over it.
Perhaps I will ask my wise Canadian friend what she thinks. She will probably think I'm being vile, especially as namesake nineties pop-country fusion singer is also Canadian.
Perhaps I should try to get over my prejudice by renaming my own children in a similar vein. Perhaps I'll start calling them Sunny, Cher and Madonna.
What do you reckon?
No power left, must go x

3 comments:

allijulivert said...

Face up to it, you are just annoyed with yourself at not being pretentious enough to give your children silly names ;)

Amy Waif said...

...and two out of the three don't have middle names, because my mum told me I had to give them middle names, and if anyone (especially my mother) tells me I have to do anything, I will always not do that thing, on principle. They do, however, have very pretentious double-barrelled surnames because we couldn't decide which of our two (boring) surnames to choose, so they ended up with both surnames, much to the confusion of the German registrar who told me that English children have to have their father's surname only (there you go, it's the old 'have to' thing again...)

allijulivert said...

They can pretend to be Spanish :) Our son has both our surnames, as is the norm here. (Spanish women don't change their surnames when they get married).

Good to know that you are still a teenage rebel at heart ;)