Friday 1 January 2010

HNY

We did find somewhere that did pasta and wine and there wasn't an exotic cultural dancer or noisy nepali band playing eighties pop music in sight. And we were in bed by midnight. What a couple of saddos. Still, new years just hasn't had the same thrill for me, since I hit, oh I dunno, twenty. I mean, after that you don't really want to get older and older, and see the world inch ever closer to climate calamity and so forth. Take me back to 1989, when we were all jolly happy about the whole Berlin Wall thing, and I looked good in opaque tights and cut-off denim hot pants (or at least I thought I looked good - thankfully no photographic evidence survived). Now the world seems permanently on the brink of disaster and no amount of cashmere will disguise the fact that my thighs just aren't what they used to be. Also, I had just discovered the Stone Roses, and the fact that if you down a mini bottle of Thunderbird before you go out, you hardly have to spend anything in the pub. Where have the last twenty years gone?
But, enough nostalgia. Let's look forward to the future with optimism and hope. Why, 2010 may even be the year when I get published and perhaps I will fit back into those 28/34 jeans at some point. Yeah, well maybe...
Happy New Year xxx

2 comments:

Merry Monk said...

Blimey Amy, lighten up!!

Mind you, I tend to agree that the start of January isn't much to celebrate.

Happy New Year to you and yours any road up.

Amy Waif said...

Happy New Year back! xx