Monday 25 January 2010

strange, but productive

I had the strangest day. I put the kids on the school bus at 7.45 this morning, and didn't see any of them until 5pm. It was because they all had play dates after school and stuff, but it was really very odd having a whole nine hours without having to wipe a single bottom or fetch a single apple or turn on a single DVD or read a single story or anything. I guess this is what it will be like when they're teenagers?
Meena was a bit huffy as I was quite late back from picking them all up from their respective play dates, so she had to hang around until after six, just to make an omlette for Son and I (girls ate out). However, I apologised to her, and she knew better than to make a fuss - good job too as I was somewhat stressed by the Kathmandu rush hour traffic, and if she'd said anything even remotely disgruntled-sounding I think I would have exploded.
However, stressy journey home aside, it was a jolly productive day. I now have three main characters sketched out and some more ideas about the plot. Also I ordered 'Writing a romantic novel for dummies' off Amazon - need all the help I can get.
I know it sounds like an average day, but I honestly can't remember the last time I had a whole day to myself. I know I go to the spa, and cafes and so forth, but I have to fit it in around school runs, compulsory assemblies, etc. and the last time I had a whole day without even having to think about children was probably before I had any. And that's a very long time ago now.

No comments: