Tuesday 23 March 2010

magic, dwarfs and unhappy toilet trips

I have just made not one but three star shaped birthday cakes.
Watch out Nigella (and now Sophie Dahl too, apparently - although she's not nearly chubby enough to be taken seriously as a domestic goddess; she'll need to put back on all those pounds she lost when she was modelling).
Yeah, well, okay, I cheated. I did refrigerator cakes, which basically means mixing up some crushed digestives with some melted chocolate. However, I am now almost ready for Son's very exciting birthday party on Saturday. And the most exciting part of all is that I only have to entertain the kids for half an hour until the magician takes over. Phew. I know it seems ridiculously early to be preparing for a party that isn't until the weekend, but the week will now become busy, busy, no time for pants, because it is also the Key Stage Two production, and Son has the pivotal role of newspaper seller in it, which entails late afternoon dress rehearsals and evening performances for the rest of the week (and I will of course be the taxi driver for this, which will cut right into any potential cake-making/game-planning/gift-bag-sorting time). Anyway, Hubby is away in Pokhara tonight (I know, again - he says its a meeting about a new playground on the camp there but I suspect sex, drugs and dwarfs; not necessarily in that order, either. Incidentally, did you know that the smallest man in the world is a Nepali? He was the second smallest man in the world, but the smallest, from China, sadly died last week, leaving our own little Nepali man to fill his teeny tiny shoes. He's had to travel to the Guiness Book of Records HQ to get verified, or so it said on the Nepal News website. I have no idea where the Guiness Book of Records HQ is, but my guess is that it's not in Pokhara. So at least the-smallest-man-in-the-world won't be involved in the sex, drugs and army officer scandal that is about to hit Pokhara - however most of his friends probably will be.), so there's ample opportunity for Nigella-ness and general stuff that doesn't involve Hubby. I might even watch an episode of Mad Men on my own and drink a glass of wine, too (ooh, that's living alright!). I'll hold off on the third series of Gavin & Stacey, though, as life wouldn't really be worth living if he found out I'd watched an episode of that without him.
I do need to go to bed soon, though. Twin 1 was up at five this morning with an urgent poo, which made her very sad, so I had to cuddle her back to sleep. It's quite understandable: an urgent poo at five in the morning is enough to make anyone unhappy. However, it does mean that I have now been awake far, far longer than I'm comfortable with, so I think I shall head up now, with my glass of wine and DVD and the taste of refrigerator cake scrapings still on my lips, to snuggle down and dream about magic, dwarfs and sad poos.
Nightie night x x

No comments: