Wednesday 31 March 2010

packing

Following the awful discovery yesterday that our hotel rate doesn't include breakfast (what is the ninety-odd pounds per night for, exactly?), I have stuffed our family suitcase full of individual packs of Chocos and cereal bars.
Everyone seems healthy today, so I'm hopeful there won't be any medical emergencies, although Hubby managed to lock himself in the bathroom this morning, so we almost had another type of emergency. Luckily there was enough space under the door for me to pass a knife through and he managed to use it to lever the door open. I had already tried doing my Cagney & Lacy moment of ramming the door open from the outside, but it just hurt my shoulder so I gave up.
Twin 1 and 2 have purple and pink hair respectively, today, as it is crazy hat and hair day at school (not sure why, something to do with Easter bonnets I think). Hubby asked if I was quite sure that the food colouring I used will wash out of their hair. I reassured him that it would. Actually I'm not sure, but I think a summer of swimming and sun should do the trick, so I'm sure they'll get back to their normal colour eventually. In the meantime they look like slightly mad old women, with their pink and purple rinses. I should really dress them in polyester slacks and give them surreptitious nips of cream sherry.
Son has made an enormous hat out of coloured paper, which announces 'I am 8' on it. Eight today! I can't believe it; eight years since that oh-so-painful night (he was born in Germany, and the Germans aren't quite so eager to offer pain relief as the Brits, so I had absolutely nothing to help, not even a poxy paracetamol). I remember some woman telling me that childbirth hurts, but it's a good pain, and you forget it quickly afterwards because of the joy of having a healthy baby in your arms. Yeah, right. Eight years on, and the memory is still pretty fresh in my mind, and I don't intend to repeat it, thanks.
Anyway, must go and finish packing: mustn't forget portable potty liners and neurofen!

No comments: