Saturday 11 December 2010

extreme baking

So, I'm sat up late (well, twenty past ten on a Saturday night counts as late for me), huddled next to the gas heater with my forbidden toffees (forbidden because I was supposed to be saving them for Santa to throw at the kids next week), waiting for my cinnamon rolls to cook. It's a new thing called extreme baking, I've discovered. Some people call it baking to the max, or others call it late bake with the yeast master and it's a really cool new way of cooking...oh, alright then, I just put my dough on a bit late and now it's past my bed time.
I've been re-watching 'Spaced' (do you remember it? sitcom from late 90s with Simon Pegg?) and trying to remember what it was like in the days before married quarters and kids, when we used to spend Saturday nights going to the pub and getting drunk, and Sundays watching Hollyoaks omnibus and having fry-ups. Remember those days? Barely. These days, ten thirty is a late one, and only justified on the basis of fresh rolls for breakfast.
Today I took the kids to a Christmas get-together at one of their classmate's house. Santa arrived on a tinsel covered tractor-type thing (hard to describe unless you've been here, but if you have, it's one of those open tractor engines attached to a seat, a bit like a go-cart. Hmm, a go-tractor, if you will.) and threw sweets at the kids (luckily not heavy ones). He then took selected children off for a spin in his go-tractor trailer. Twin 1, wisely suspicious of bearded old men bearing sweets, ran off to hide on the trampoline. Son endured it whilst protesting that he thought the Santa was fake. Twin 2, on the other hand, was last seen sitting on Santa's lap, whilst he stroked her cheeks, telling him that she wanted make up in her stocking.
Think I have just eaten the last toffee, dagnabbitt! Perhaps I should move onto the 'dense milk coffee candy' or the 'yake sweet with jam centre'? Not sure about the others as the writing is in chinese, so I'll leave those for the kids next week.
Off to check on the rolls now...
Done to perfection. Can't wait for breakfast.
Night x

No comments: