Wednesday 1 July 2009

goodbye Vasu!

As I've mentioned, Hubby is a right old teacher's pet when it comes to our Nepali lessons (the teacher, who is a well-known local writer says he plans write a short story about Hubby). However, it turns out that Hubby is not everyone's favourite. Yesterday the teacher asked our cook who she liked best, me or Hubby and she chose me, hurrah. When asked why, she replied that I was always happy and he was always angry. The teacher tried to play this down, saying it would have been culturally inappropriate for her to say she liked the husband of another woman. This may be true, but I'm not sure that the cultural appropriateness extends to her adding that he's always in a huff. Oh, yes, and this conversation took place in Nepali, and I understood it, so I am learning something. Ah, how my self-esteem is soaring at the moment. And another thing, I sacked Vasu and it was totally painless. Although now I'm left with the problem of grumpy taxi drivers (two of whom I have exited their cabs before the journey even started, for various reasons), and motorbikes zooming through monsoon puddles and splashing me. But I can cope with this, just so long as I'm not saddled with paying a grumpy teenager to make me feel uncomfortable and apologetic about asking him to do his blooming job.
School holidays are looming, and the rain is falling...
Tomorrow is my last full day of child-free freedom, as they are only doing a half-day on Friday (and, yes, I do plan to spend that last precious morning in the spa, since you ask!).

No comments: