Friday 3 July 2009

Happy Holidays

So, today being the last day of term, I spent a pleasant morning in the spa, in anticipation of the stress to follow. Thus I ended up late for the end-of-term assembly, and in a state of blissful stupefecation. This is the best way to approach the end-of-term assemblies, I now realise, as they tend to be a strange combination of tedium ('so-and-so came third in the primary table tennis championship, so lets give them a good clap') and high emotion ('it's just been such a privilege to teach at a wonderful school and I will miss you all so very much'), topped off with the whole school singing 'Give me one moment in time (while I'm racing with des-tin-y!)...' Most parents therefore started the school holidays red-eyed and wrung-out, with kids stir crazy from having to sit still for a full hour-and-a-half through the proceedings. But not me, no siree, Bob! (By the way, does anyone know who sang the original of 'Give me one moment in time'? It's really bugging me. I keep thinking Beverley Craven or Oleta Adams, but it's not, is it?)

So, now in my serene post-spa state I am well able to cope with having two of the kids' friends over for a sleep over this evening. At the moment the twins are running about outside in their pants, and Son and his friends are playing some complicated game involving climbing the mango tree and zooming about on bikes and scooters.

Eventually I suppose I will have to be evil mother and announce bed time - but maybe I'll wait until the wailing, falling over and head traumas start.

Happy holidays! xxx

3 comments:

Merry Monk said...

It was Whitney Houston. The USA anthem for the Soeul Olympics I think.

Amy Waif said...

Whitney, of course! before that rapscallion bobby brown ruined her life. Still, I can't really thank her for imposing that song on all the british school parents. Can you imagine a big gang of primary schoolers hitting the high notes and managing that tricky key change near the end? Nope, me neither, and lord knows I tried!

Amy Waif said...

Oh, and I am confidently expecting you to beat me in the music quiz, although if you only get 95% I'll know its because of the Ah-Ha answer...