Friday 10 July 2009

yakult and immelda marcos

Right, I’m really sorry. I know it’s been a whole week, but it is the school holidays, and I have been busy looking at ever more complex and impressive Lego spaceship designs, and putting dresses on Barbie dolls, amongst other important things.

On Monday I took Twins on a playdate. Their little friend has the best-ever dressing-up wardrobe (well, if you’re a four-year-old girl), which includes a Snow White costume, complete with headband, and an Ariel-the-mermaid one as well as many, many others. She is surely the Immelda Marcos of nursery, and Twins will be keen to stay in her good-books so they can spend hours floating around looking utterly beautiful, gracious and princess-like.

Talking of good books, Son has been hoovering up books at a scary rate. Luckily I have found a bookshop that does cheap Secret Seven books, as well as Roald Dahl (although he’s read most of those now) and Harry Potter. They even have a childrens’ book club, starting this week, which is fab, and doubly fab because the bookshop is right next to a very nice café. It is always nice to combine a good book with a large latte and perhaps a chocolate brownie, I find. The bookshop owner also says they are thinking of starting a creative writing club too, which I will have to join, even though it’s very scary having to read out your own work to other people. I’m so excited about it all, and equally so depressed that we’ll be leaving here in a year’s time, and will probably be posted to some godforsaken army camp where the closest thing I’ll get to culture is a pot of Yakult.

No comments: