Monday 23 May 2011

scary monday

The aggressive lychee men are back, waving their fruit with menaces in our faces and car windows. One got me as I was leaving school. I told myself that I was buying them for my little fruit bats - who do, it has to be said, have a bit of a lychee addiction - but the real reason was that I was slightly intimidated by the dark skinny man with the red-stained teeth shoving his wares at me. At least I managed to overcome my fear enough to knock him down by one hundred rupees.
And talking of scary, I just had a really scary book review. It was a 'free will' one on the youwriteon site. This means that my story hadn't been assigned to the person who reviewed it, they just decided to review it of their own free will. For a moment I felt good about this, until I saw who wrote the review...it was a chap whose book I had reviewed the previous evening. I had tried to do the feedback sandwich and everything, but I just found his style, well, challenging (and if you challenge a reader too much, they're not likely to read on), and I didn't give him many stars in the rating.
His review of my book was an endless rant about how I should use my own voice and admit that I'm writing the truth (I'm not - I have never been a bomb disposal officer, honest), and then he went on to say that the only reason he couldn't become an army officer was because he didn't have a mother like mine (I don't think he has ever met my mother - can only assume that he means my protagonist's mother, in the story, which is all made up). Quite frightening that someone had have such a tenuous grasp of the line between truth and fiction. Hope I never meet him (especially not on a dark night).
Have to go now, time for supper xxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an utter twat! Talk about revenge... in a childish way.

Amy Waif said...

yes, but I'm trying to put a positive spin on it...if my writing is so convincing that he really thought I was a bomb disposal officer 'for real life' (as the Twins would say), that has to be a good thing? Or maybe just proof that he's a nutter!