Thursday 22 October 2009

Thursday

Blooming internet is off yet again, but I’ll write this anyway and post it when I can get back online, as all kids are busy watching Star Wars and I am feeling too viral to do anything more productive (although I do have a productive cough, if that counts for anything?).

Just had Tihar holiday (long weekend). Handily enough, the swimming pool was closed, so we went to the zoo instead (zoos in developing countries – always a treat). Actually, the tigers have quite a nice enclosure, but the poor hippos barely have space to yawn. It’s all a bit sad, and, well, tedious really, but the kids seem to love it. I managed to keep them away from the truly hazardous playground, but we couldn’t pass by the gift shop without buying some absolutely essential plastic crowns and bubble mixture.

The following day we went on a picnic on the valley rim with a group of mainly missionaries. In fact I think kids and I were the only heathens. We didn’t have to say grace before the picnic or anything, and it was pretty relaxed, although some people freaked out when the driver came back from doing his puja (getting a blessing and a tikka at the temple) with a few bottles of fizzy pop. Not sure if this was a Christian thing, or just a middle-class parent thing. Honestly, you would have thought I’d produced cocaine, not coca cola (maybe there’s something about not getting into heaven if you have tooth decay?). Still, they got over it and we all had a jolly pleasant time.

I have been happily thinking that the Tihar break was the last weekend without Hubby, as I was sure he told me that his sailing trip finishes on Friday. It does. But it turns out he doesn’t make it back to Kathmandu until Sunday evening. He has to fly from Portugal to the UK and then there’s the whole time difference thing as well. Bummer! He is here for a week, and then back to the UK for a terribly important conference thing the following week, so it looks like I’ve got to be a single parent a bit longer. In response to this news, I have planned another morning at the spa and a new pashmina, as essential stress reduction strategies.

I suppose I should really go now and do something useful… or maybe I will just take a brufen and make some hot lemon and honey and let the kids watch Star Wars until bedtime…

Ps. I am just writing up my last scene (I did the ‘trapped under rubble’ one at the weekend, so it’s just the ‘big row’ one to finish off). Very exciting. I’ll do this scene tomorrow morning (I have to do it on Thursday, because on Friday I have essential single parent stress reduction morning of massage and cashmere shopping followed by lunch at nice hotel), and then all I will have to do is edit it (which will realistically take until Christmas, but I’m on schedule for my end of year deadline). Hurrah!

I decided last night that if it does ever make it to publication (slim chance, but fingers crossed), then I’m going to give a portion of my royalties to Help for Heroes, so remind me of that when I’m a famous author, because obviously there will be the temptation to blow the lot on liposuction and botox!

No comments: