Thursday 8 October 2009

rainy days and Mondays

It has rained all blooming week. Kids on holiday, no Hubby and rain, rain and yet more rain. Have barely made it out of the house.
Yesterday, however, I was a good mother in the morning and took the little blighters out to Patan Durbar Square, which is a Unesco world heritage site, and choc-full of temples, artefacts, etc. They ran amok in the museum, pausing briefly to climb up display cases and fall out of windows. Kids really don't give a stuff about history, do they? And I knew this, which was why I had never bothered to take them into the museum before, but hey, what else is there to do on a rainy day in Kathmandu (the only soft-play centre here is half made out of wood and about as safe as a deep fat fryer on a wobbly cooker)? Still, they all enjoyed feeding the pigeons outside, and I felt virtuous for having giving my offspring a bit of a cultural experience. I felt so good about it, in fact, that I elected to take the afternoon off, and let Son choose two DVDs to watch, both of which were very long Star Wars ones, which gave me time to go to the gym and have a shower afterwards, and by the time the DVDs were finished it was time for bed, hurrah.
Tomorrow we are going out to the Sterling Club (the British Embassy). Yes, we are, and I don't care if it's hailing snakes, we are getting out of the house. I have booked transport, invited little friends and everything.
And then it's only the weekend to get through until they're back at school.
And I'm quite certain that when I wave them all off on the school bus on Monday I'll be a bit sad. Maybe I'll wander dolefully home and do a Disney princess puzzle or mash a bit of play doh on my own for a bit, just for nostalgia's sake.
Or on second thoughts, maybe I'll get straight in the car and head down to the spa to take advantage of that special offer, which only lasts until the end of the month, you know!

No comments: