Friday 2 October 2009

Cheeky cow

Really sorry that there has yet again been a lengthy gap between postings. No excuses, really, soz.
We did manage to get away to Pokhara, hurrah. We stayed in a place called Tranquility Lodge, which was recommended by our Nepali teacher as being a really lovely place to stay (it's owned by a friend of his who is also a poet). All I can say about it is it was pretty much what you'd expect for somewhere where you're paying less than a fiver a night. The poet-owner was clearly too busy thinking about stanzas or rhyming couplets or something to remember things like emptying the bins or providing replacement toilet rolls, but it was fine, really.
As we couldn't all fit into one room we had a boy's room and a girls room. The boy's room had all the electronic gadgetry: music, DVD player, etc (courtesy of Hubby's techno-nerdiness). The girl's room had a couple of fairy stories and a large selection of pink pants - you can never have too many pink pants, as we found out later on in the holiday when Twin 2 got food poisoning...
I have to say I was quite jealous of the boy's room, particularly after the first night of sharing a bed with the Twins (after which I asked the poet for an extra mattress and slept on the floor instead).
We didn't actually do very much in Pokhara except go swimming and eat in cafes, but then that's about as much as we do anywhere, we are really not an active family. However on the final day Hubby did take Twin 1 and Son out on the lake in a rowing boat, whilst I was holed up in Tranquility Lodge with Twin 2, the final pair of pink pants and a sachet of dioralyte.
We came back on Monday, and Hubby left to go sailing today for three weeks (no, it's work, honestly!), but luckily we had some nice little friends round this morning to relieve the holiday tedium.
I'm planning a quiet weekend at home. Not because I especially want to, you understand (I have pretty much had my fill of activity books and play doh already), but because all the nice friends are away somewhere and I am trying to eke out the last bit of cash, as apparently there is still none in the coffers on camp (Hubby did manage to get some for us to go away with, in the end). The nice admin lady said I might be able to cash a cheque on Monday. I do hope so, because after a weekend at home with no adult company, I will be desperate for a teensy bit of time off at the spa (and they have an excellent Deshain offer on at the moment: reflexology, facial and aromatherapy massage for just eighteen hundred rupees - £15 ish - it's a steal!).
Anyway, I will try to write a bit more often now, sorry about the gap.
By the way, I got head-butted by a cow in Pokhara main street. I know they're supposed to be sacred, but it didn't stop me being really quite cross with the bolshy bovine.
Must go - time to wake Twin 2 up from her afternoon sleep or she won't go to bed tonight.
Ta ra!

No comments: