Wednesday 9 December 2009

easy life

Feeling like a proper lady of leisure now the book is finished. However, I have just sent the first four thousand words off to my creative writing group for critiquing on Monday. I'm a bit nervous because the standard of the group is pretty high, and I'm worried that their insightful comments will make me feel that my efforts are a bit pants. We'll see.
In the meantime I have time to do inane things like wrap presents and do the make up for the Twins' xmas play. Actually I won't be doing that today as today's performance has been postponed until Friday. There is supposed to be a big valley-wide bandh (strike/stoppage) today, so the school assumed that nobody would actually be able to make it past the burning tyres and flying bricks to watch 'Humph the camel' at the British School. However, as it turns out, the Maoists are getting soft on us, because they have partially cancelled today's bandh, which now only applies to businesses, not transport. This, I'm told, is because today is a big wedding day in Kathmandu (out here astrologers choose wedding dates, and today is a particularly auspicious day, astrologically-speaking, so there are shed-loads of weddings planned). How absolutely sweet of them to call off part of their bandh so as not to spoil anyone's wedding day. Who says the political can't be personal? You know, it gives me a really warm and fuzzy feeling about the whole people's revolution thing.

No comments: