Tuesday 12 July 2011

Tonight, Mathew, I'm going to be Rebecca Bryan...

Twins have gone for a sleepover with their friend, and Son is an only child for the night. This afternoon I played chess (beat him, too - didn't mean to be quite so evil, and hadn't realised that I had him in check mate), tigers & goats and then did some cooking. He made some lush lemon squares, which will foil my attempts to lose a few pounds before we get back to the UK (the ingredients consisted mainly of sugar and butter, with a teensy bit of lemon juice and flour thrown in - don't know why I go to the effort of eating the darn things; I may as well just stick them directly onto my thighs).
Then I left him (not alone, Meena and Mani were scuttling about the place) whilst I went to the gym. I think I managed to work off the equivalent of half a mouthful of lemon square on the rowing machine (still too dizzy to go running, even though the nice doctor has given me some much more effective medication). After the gym I went to Hubby's office to walk home with him. As it was a quiet day, I only had to wait half an hour whilst he had conversations about super-chlorination and tried to shut down his very old computer. I began to wish I had brought 'A prayer for Owen Meany' with me - I could have got through a not inconsiderable chunk of it whilst waiting for the office tedium to end. Still, I filled the time trying to think of a suitable pseudonym. Did you know that Beyonce always thinks of herself as 'Sasha Fierce' before going onstage. A very nice friend of mine suggested that I do the same, and give myself a writer's name, in order to become more focussed on being a writer. So far, I've settled on Rebecca Bryan, which isn't terribly exciting, I know, but then neither is Mark Twain, or George Eliot or George Orwell or even Caroline Harvey (Joanna Trollope used to write as Caroline Harvey). Well, let me know if you can think of anything better than Rebecca Bryan...
So tonight, Mathew (ah, Stars in their eyes, remember that? does it still exist?), I'm going to be Rebecca Bryan, and I'm going to revise and edit chapter one.
Ta ra!

No comments: