Thursday 8 September 2011

My new friend Mrs Starbucks hot chocolate

I've been hunched over the laptop in the darkened bedroom for a bit (really couldn't face the loo again), but I think everyone's asleep now, so I'll turn the lights back on - not that it would matter if the lights were still out as I can touch type, you know. Yes, if I fail to make it as a novelist, a successful career as an audio typist beckons. In fact, when we first lived here, way back in 1998, just after I became an army wife, I was an audio typist, briefly. At the time, I was trying to break into freelance journalism, having just spent lots of time and money on a postgrad  journalism course (oh, there is a bit of a pattern to my life emerging, no?), but at the time all I'd managed was a short feature on a heroic pooch for Dog's Today and something about drugs for a youthwork magazine, which meant I was a bit skint, so I had to put my Pitman certificates to good use by typing death letters for the Boots pensions department. I would spend hours typing letters asking people to send in their spouse's death certificate and letting them know that in future their pension would halve. What a cheery time that was.
Today has been a bit emotional. Kids all looked very spiffy in their uniforms, and I sent them off with a hug and a smile, and then as soon as I walked out of the school gates I burst into tears. However, a caramel latte and a dip in the hotel pool revived me a bit. Oh, and I'm a couple of pounds lighter on the scales in the hotel changing rooms, so it was nice to be under ten stone again - so nice, in fact, that I had to celebrate later with a hot chocolate with whipped cream (discovered that as Starbucks is in the hotel I can simply charge the cost of my beverage to my room, which is psychologically the same as getting a freebie). I did also do a bit of admin - I spent about a million hours filling in forms to register with the local GP, and I bought PE bags and things - but I'm finding it a bit hard to whip up the energy for stuff as I secretly just want to sit in the room with my new friend Mrs Starbucks hot chocolate and watch old movies on Film 4.
Right, I think I'm safe to turn on the TV now without waking anyone up.
Do you think it's possible to get a Starbucks delivered to my room?

No comments: