Thursday 17 May 2012

Hello, sorry it's been so long. And what have I been doing in the last ten days to justify the silence? Nothing much, except turning forty two (forty two, I know!). It's always nice to have a good old birthday celebration (even if Son was up at six in the morning decorating the cake, and waking the whole household, bless him). Lovely friend AL came for the weekend (bringing sweets, so the kids now wish she was their mother, not me), along with Mum, Dad and one sister and her husband, so it was a right houseful. Handily enough there was a sunday lunch in the mess, so we all traipsed along there to eat. I think my parents were under the impression that the officers' mess would be posh - Dad even wore a cravat - but sadly it was the usual school dinner type affair (chicken breast that would be useful in hand-to-hand combat and lumpy gravy) underneath a photo of a very young-looking Queen. Still, at least I didn't have to wash up.
I wouldn't be feeling my age quite so much if Twin 1 didn't keep reminding me that I'm the 'oldest mother in school' and that 'even Katy's mum is younger' than me, etc. Every time we go to Tesco she says things like: 'Why don't you buy some make up to cover up your wrinkles?' or 'That purple dress might make you look a bit younger' and so on.
Today at breakfast, there was the usual discussion about Fairyland, and who the fairies are (apparently Son is a vampire fairy, which was news to me). Until now, I've been assigned the title of  Fairy Queen, and I mentioned something about this as I chipped into the conversation.
Twin 1's response:
"No you can't be the Fairy Queen because the queen has to have lovely long hair without any grey in it. You're too old and you don't wear nice lipstick or dresses. In Fairyland, when you get too old you get banished to real life and you'll probably go in the woods and get killed by a hunter. That's just the way it is," she said with a shrug, and got back to her Special K (which, incidentally, is meant to be for my own cereal bowl only, but the evil little fairy keeps on stealing it and only eating the red berries, and leaving the rest).
I'm not sure what I think of Fairyland's ageism and attitude to regicide, but I suppose it fits in with the pink spangly regime quite well.
Anyway, I'm off to the real world now (probably to meet a hunter and get myself killed, unless I manage to find some lipstick, wrinkle cream and a sparkly dress before nightfall).
Take care xxx

No comments: