Thursday 1 March 2012

Leap of love

It's the fourth anniversary of when I proposed to Hubby. Yep, I was one of those impatient leap year women who just can't hang about for ever waiting to be asked. It was 1996 and he was part way through a Bosnia tour. At that time, civilian flights had just started operating again, so I booked a flight to Split, and he got a seventy-two hour leave pass and there we were (officially wives and girlfriends weren't supposed to go out to visit their partners, so we had to have a 'chance' meeting at the airport...). From Split we got a boat up the coast to Dubrovnik. There was another couple (who also had a coincidental airport encounter) with us, but we four were the only tourists in Dubrovnik. The hotels and cafes were opening up (luckily, or we would have been hungry), but the only sightseers roaming the streets were us and a very thin cat. I had had photos done in a booth before I came out with me holding up a different message in each shot: 'will', 'you', 'marry', 'me?'. He looked at them and said 'Alright.' and the deal was sealed...now it's sixteen years and three kids later and as I have no intention whatsoever of hopping on a flight to Kabul, it's a good job he's back here to celebrate the proposal anniversary with me.
So how did we spend the day? Roses and chocolates? A day at the spa? No, we took the dog for a walk, visited a National Trust property and had a cream tea - clotted cream and strawberry jam never tasted so good!
Cheerio xx

No comments: