Wednesday 14 March 2012

my heart's desire is the sound of my own snoring

My yoga teacher has introduced us to yoga nidra. It's a kind of relaxation/visualisation thing (apparently a bit like neuro linguistic programming). You have to lie down and relax and breathe a certain amount of breaths and imagine things and then think about your hearts desire. The idea is something along the lines that if you get your subconscious in tune with your conscious then you're more likely to be able to achieve what you want. Something like that, anyway. It's worth a go, I thought and decided that my 'affirmation' should be: "I am a published author". Brilliant. All I had to do was to lie down for 45 minutes every day and do yoga nidra practice and hey presto, publishers would be banging on my door... I keep trying it, but I keep falling asleep before I get to the critical affirmation bit. Which means that I spend a precious three quarters of an hour asleep, when I could be writing, and my subconscious still doesn't know that I want to be published. My subconscious is probably lagging, and still thinks that I want to be a sweet shop lady (I wasn't a very ambitious child). Or possibly my subconscious thinks that my heart's desire is the sound of my own snoring.
So, I'm back into the swing of the course again, somewhat panicky as my tutor told me that having just had a husband back home on R&R is not a valid justification for getting an extension on my next academic essay deadline. Bummer. I'll tell you what the essay question is, and you can decide for yourself how long it would take you to write:
Ian Watt argues that the novel operates under the assumption that it is '...a full and authentic report of human experience and is therefore under an obligation to satisfy its reader with such details of the story as the individuality of the actors concerned, the particulars of the times and places of their actions, details which are presented through a more largely referential use of language than is common in other literary forms.' To what degree is this a accurate statement? Support your response through detailed reference to two novels.
Yeah, I know, I'm hardly going to be able to dash that one off between school runs tomorrow, am I? (Especially not if I'm busy doing yoga nidra and sleeping through my heart's desire.) But if you have any ideas on 'formal realism' in contemporary literature, then do please please let me know. Right now if possible, and certainly before tomorrow morning.
Anyway, better go. Finished The Shipping News, now have to hurry along and read Morvern Callar and  pray for inspiration to strike whilst I'm asleep (really asleep, not yoga nidra asleep) so I can write the big old scary essay tomorrow...

No comments: