Wednesday 2 October 2013

strike

The teacher's strike today was spent very productively by the kids, hawking apples from our tree round in an old doll's pram to the neighbours (yes, it was my idea - indeed I picked the apples for them). They made £3.00, which they'll be spending on sweets. I've demanded a cut, given that I'm the brains behind the outfit - hoping for a dark chocolate Bounty, at the very least. Whilst they were out I caught up on lesson planning, so as not to find myself in the same predicament as yesterday.
What happened yesterday?
Well, I thought I was only teaching half a lesson as I would be introducing the class to my replacement, but I found out just as I was leaving the house that my replacement had a cold and would not be turning up. Ho hum, I thought, I can probably spin out a one hour lesson into a two hour-ish one, with a bit of new vocabulary bingo and some peer correction and a following wind. But then, oh horror, not only did I arrive at the classroom with just minutes to spare due to a traffic jam en route, I opened my teacher's bag, which I'd packed before our weekend in London - or so I thought - to discover it empty of all teaching material. A bit like a Mother Hubbard version of ESOL. So, I taught two hours, with nothing planned and then went straight on to teach again in the afternoon at another location (and for some reason that class was packed and my boss had to turn potential students away at the door because we ran out of seats, which was in itself a bit scary). And I didn't even have any lunch, because I was fasting.
So tomorrow won't be like that, not on your nelly.
Anyhow, better go and get a bit of shut eye.
Hope your week so far has been less stressful than mine! xxx

2 comments:

deborah said...

Blimey Clare. What a day! Makes me feel almost guilty lazing around on the boat in my shorts reading my book and admiring the tropical view.

Amy Waif said...

Don't feel in the slightest guilty - enjoy it while it lasts! xxx