Monday 9 December 2013

pies are nice and so are mice

Today I got three Iraqis, one Saudi, two Indonesians and a Hungarian singing 'Let it snow' (the Dean Martin version, which in my opinion way trumps the Frank Sinatra one) - result! It was my final final Monday morning class (the new teacher has promised she will come back after xmas, so I'm fairly hopeful that I really will stop teaching this one). We had mince pies, although half the class couldn't eat them because the mincemeat contained a splash of alcohol, and they are muslims (at least, that was their excuse - I didn't eat any either, because I can't bear all that fruity xmas nonsense, and I'm fasting today anyway). We also had a class photo, but again, half the class weren't in it, because apparently Allah doesn't approve of photographs. Hey ho. More xmas fun on Wednesday, when there'll be xmas parties during both my classes, and students are invited to bring in traditional snacks from their own countries so I shall spend the whole day eating things that are much nicer than mince pies, with any luck.
Bought some more chocolate decorations for our tree at home, following the mysterious disappearance of the last two packets. Can't trust myself to hang them up yet, though - I'm on a fasting day today, and the temptation might prove just too much....

No comments: