Tuesday 13 April 2010

beach tastic!

A beach on a river, of course!
It took us a whole two hours to get there. We had to go all the way out of the Kathmandu valley and through to the other side. It's a bit of river where they dredge for building sand. We had to do a bit of off-roading to get there, and ford the river (of course I whooped and yelled 'yeah, baby, off roading to the max!' as we did so. No, of course I didn't, who do you take me for? Oh, okay, I did whoop a little bit, but I didn't say the other bit. Definitely not).
All of Kathmandu with children under the age of nine were there, or so it seemed. Five four-by-fours anyway, all crammed with hot, sticky kids just desperate to go and try to drown themselves in the river.
What fun we had.
Then the sky went dark and it got all windy and all of a sudden we were the only vehicle left and someone had nicked our best sand toys but left a pair of red shoes, so we scooted off too. The approaching storm chased us all the way from the beach, and now we are trapped in an echo chamber of thunder back here in Kathmandu.
Gary is looking doleful and wishing he were small enough to hide under the sofa. Sadly for him, he's not small enough to hide under anything, so he's sat on the rug looking scared instead.
Why are dogs afraid of storms? I was wondering whether he thinks its the ghost of some previous owner come back in giant form to give him a kicking for stealing a biscuit.
Gary is scared. So too is Sunil the tailor, who was summoned by Hubby to sort out his uniform in time for the Queen's birthday next week. Hubby was, well, curmudgeonly, at best, and Sunil is not the most robust of characters. Anyway, I expect Hubby's uniform will get done on time, but only if Sunil has the courage to set foot over our threshold again.
The reason he's grumpy is that he has a new (very expensive and shiny) gadget. I thought it would make him happy - expensive, shiny things generally make me happy - but it hasn't. In fact, I think his new phone is like a wayward young mistress (sorry, don't have the energy to follow this analogy through, something about being attractive, but not what he's used to...).
I have to stop writing now as the room is swaying. I'm still blaming the wierd post-flight middle-ear issue. Yes, I am, because I have only had half a glass of sparkling wine, honest.
Tonight is Nepali New Year and tomorrow Hubby has the day off work. The plan is to take the kids out for exciting cup cakes in exciting new cafe I discovered. However, I expect I will take the kids out and Hubby will stay at home wrangling with his new appliance.
Ho Hum. Must go xx

No comments: