Wednesday 28 April 2010

losing the plot

Having lots and lots of ideas about the new (better and potentially best selling, natch) book. So many, in fact, that I had to have a little lie down on the floor before lunch today and force myself to creative visualisation relaxation technique thingy. The last time I did that was when I was pregnant with the Twins, I think.
I have lots of ideas but no coherent structure, and I'm dead nervous about the whole plotting thing, because I honestly thought I had plotted the last book quite well, but the wise commercial romance writer who appraised it made it quite clear that my plot was utter pants. So I'm understandably coy about it all this time round. I have ordered a nice new book that she recommended from amazon, but there is no post at the moment (volcano backlog affecting flights) and if the whole bandh thing kicks off there won't be any next week either, which leaves me floundering about wondering how to go about getting a convincing midpoint/catharsis etc. And even if it's not a romance, as such, should I have a nice bloke in there for her to fall in love with anyway, or leave love out of it entirely?
On the plus side, I managed a Nepali lesson today. We learnt how to say 'please do this instantly', 'please do this for my sake' and something else which I have already forgotten. I'm sure Hubby has been practising these phrases all afternoon with his work colleagues, like the girly swot he is.
Must go and chivvie Son into bed now. Take care xxx

2 comments:

Emma said...

I heard a writer on R4 yesterday morning (sorry, didn't catch who it was, but was female & has a new book out) and she had a twist in the middle of her book. She got several friends to read the manuscript and put a red cross when they realised what it was. That helped her make sure it was in the righ place!

Amy Waif said...

hmmm, good idea. Are you volunteering to read the next mss then?!