Tuesday 20 April 2010

bugger!

Gutted! Manuscript sent back with red pen all over it. Not literally - in fact it was several pages of critique telling me exactly where I did everything wrong. Somewhat depressing, but hey. I'm trying to tell myself that if I can manage to do a Nepali dance in front of one hundred-odd locals, then surely writing another, better book isn't beyond me. I have put the manuscript under the bed. Hubby quite wisely told me that I should incorporate all the constructive crit (and there was a lot of it!) into the new book, and revisit the last one when I'm less emotionally attached to it (ie. don't burst into tears every time I look at it).
So I need to get back on the horse, as it were.
One thing the reviewer said was that I should think about whether or not I really want to write romance, and I think she has a point. I'm not sure I really do.
So anyhow, here's the pitch for the new book:
"When twin sisters Ria and Vee discover a family secret, it takes them on a journey that will change their lives forever..."
Or something like that. What do you think? It's not about girls and boys kissing or anything!


2 comments:

Merry Monk said...

Philistines!!! What do they know of romance. You stick with the kissing and cuddlin and all that. Get a bit more graphic. I won't mind. No, really, I won't. THAT'S what the public want to read. How about Ria and Vee finding a secret family that like a bit of graphic romance?
Get your Booker Prize acceptance speech ready. I sense a blockbuster......

Amy Waif said...

Couldn't possibly - what if my mum read it (or my husband, for that matter)?
x