Sunday 25 April 2010

weekend

Waiting, waiting, for very slow internet connection to let me buy train tickets for the summer. I'm trying to be organised; I have even started a summer holiday file, which I think is probably what organised people do (I don't usually do things like this - I usually think I'm organised because I have a collection of scribbled notes at the back of my diary, but then realise I am missing something critical, like a passport).
A similar thing happened for the Twins' party on Saturday. It was a mermaids and pirates party. I planned the party games, made a really tasty-looking blue cake, etc. but I forgot about blowing up balloons. I had what I thought was a brilliant idea of putting sweets inside the balloons, and I honestly thought that I'd be able to blow up twenty balloons with sweets inside whilst the little darlings were eating their chips. I think I managed two, and then had to enlist the help of other random mothers to do the job for me (they all said admiring things about my ambitious party bags, but I could tell they were thinking, why the hell is she bothering with such luxuries as sweet-filled balloons for these ungrateful bunch of guttersnipes).
Twins got lots and lots and lots of presents. Hubby berated me for being stressy when he actually did all the tough party work (funny, I don't remember him sending out invitations, shopping for themed game prizes or sorting out games or making the cake or... but I don't want to do him too much of a disservice as he did an excellent job painting mermaid and pirate nails and sorting the music out for 'pass the pirate')
So that was yesterday.
Today, Twin 2 learned to swim. Yes, I know, and her being disabled and all! Actually, although she can swim, she doesn't know how to come up for air, so there is still a way to go. But, I'm very proud indeed. Now she can run and swim, nobody will believe me when I say she has cerebral palsy (although, she's a long way off from doing the can-can!).
One of the sporty balloon-blowing mums was very impressed with her running (she couldn't do this at her last birthday party) and wondered whether she'd ever be able to do track and field events. I said that it was unlikely that any of my children would have any talent in that direction; regardless of whether or not they had a disability they would be genetically predisposed to be spaccers on the sports pitch.
Anyhow, must go. Lunch boxes, homework and library books to sort out - don't you love Sunday nights? xx

2 comments:

allijulivert said...

Hurrah for Twin 2. How old are the twins now? I'm afraid I lose track.

My son didn't learn to swim until he was 9 - was terrified of water until we discovered prescription goggles.

By the way, if you are a random mum at a party it's your duty to help blow up balloons. This is why you should always leave your children at parties and not stay yourself ;)

Amy Waif said...

Five, just. Twin 1 has been swimming for a few weeks. Son didn't learn until last year when he was seven - goggles are definitely the solution!
I know the kind of mum you are - leaving others to the whole bottom-wiping, tantrum-diffusing bedlam whilst you sip latte in a cafe and read the paper, slowly, cover to cover. Yes, I know your sort!!