Saturday 2 May 2009

jedis, siths, princesses and goddesses

Apparently I am a jedi and so is Twin 2. Twin 1, however, is a sith. According to Son. Hubby is half-sith and half-jedi. I'm not sure if this is possible, but might be down to him being a Gemini and therefore allowed a split personality. I'm not surprised Twin 1 is a sith: her spaceship destruction tally is quite high. Why, only the other morning I was woken up at quarter to six by Son in tears because Twin 1 had run into his room and annihilated a whole fleet of Lego space craft. She is certainly a girl in touch with her inner dark side. Not that we have seen any of it today, thankfully. Twins 1 & 2 had their birthday party. The theme was 'princesses' and it was as if the essence of all things pink, spangly and fragrant had been distilled into one tiny patch of greenery at the British Embassy. Except when Son started poking the princesses with a big stick. And when Twin 2 was so enjoying herself she forgot that wee should belong in toilets, not pants.
Tomorrow we are off to find the red goddess. The red goddess's huge chariot has been being built in the middle of the main road on our route to school (why it has to be built just there, I'm not sure, as there's a perfectly good football pitch just up the road that has loads of room. But hey, I guess it's just far-more goddess-like to cause massive disruption and make everyone late for assembly). 
Vasu, our driver, reliably informed me that once the chariot was completed and the statue of the goddess herself instated, it would parade through the streets of Patan, and then it would rain. I asked if he was sure it would rain, and he said yes. I said did he think it would rain specifically because of the goddess and he said yes. I decided to believe him and have faith in the red goddess (why not? after all, we all used to have faith in Michael Fish, and he didn't even have a chariot). Also, when the Nepalis had a festival for what they said was the coldest day of the year (January 14th, as I recall), and I pooh-poohed it, I was proven wrong, as it did start to warm up after that. Then when Meena, our cook, told me that we would get a little bit of rain after the festival of Holi, that was true as well. Likewise in this instance: Lo! on the fourth day, when the goddess began her stately procession, we had rain and thunder (a bit inconveniently as I had no coats for the kids at home time). Apparently her chariot has made it as far as the Mangal Bazar, which is within walking distance of our house (and not in the middle of our route to school), so we're off to get a look at her tomorrow. Think we will take rain coats this time, though.

No comments: