Monday 1 June 2009

Bandha

Kids are off school today as there is a big 'bhanda' (strike) on. For a nice change it's not the maoists causing wanton havoc around the city, it's the Newars. I think the Newars were the original inhabitants of Kathmandu. Anyway, they are demanding their own autonomous region. I can quite understand any group thinking they can do a better job of governing themselves than the present Nepali parliament; however, fat chance of them getting their own way. Still, kids spend a happy morning collecting worms, making pink and purple hand prints on the driveway, pretending to be 'jungle boys' and, later on, 'fire gods' (this was very popular as it involved dropping lots of scarves off the balcony). As my cheeriness and patience had pretty much ebbed away by eleven I suggested we go to camp for lunch. We had a very very early lunch in the mess, but still managed to coincide with an important colonel, who would probably rather not have had to share dining space with the chip-munching jackals. I suggested a Star Wars DVD when we got home because they tend to last a very long time...which is why I have had the time to have a cat-nap, a tasty peanut butter sandwich, and write this.
Think I now have the energy to be cheery and patient for another hour or so. I might even suggest some painting and sticking later - only if I have a strong cup of coffee first, though.
Anyway, should really go and check up on Yoda, Princess Lea and Darth Moll. Tootle pip!

No comments: