Monday 31 August 2009

Another one bites the dust...

So, another one bites the dust. Another driver, I mean. I feel slightly more guilty about it than when I sacked Vasu, but not massively. Here's what happened: Hubby was getting huffy about our staff wages bill, and we realised that we were paying for a gardener and a driver, when in fact one person could easily do both jobs (after all, the driver was employed between two and six in the afternoon, but was usually finished by three, or at least, had an hour or so hanging about between jobs), so why not combine the post. Initially Anil agreed to do some gardening (honestly, we have a titchy garden, so it would hardly be taxing) and we sacked the current gardener (the housekeeper's son, who is on the brink of joining the Gurkhas or becoming a trekking guide in any case). Then, today, Anil turned up and said he'd decided he didn't want to do the gardening as he 'doesn't like that kind of work'. I asked him if he was absolutely sure he couldn't take it on, and he said no, so I said I would pay him for the work he's done and he could go. Now, you may think this is heartless, but really it wasn't unreasonable to ask him to mow the lawn occasionally or trim the hedge during the hours he spent hanging about in the guard room waiting for the next driving job. It was really silly of him, because I was on the brink of giving him his Deshain (Nepali Xmas equivalent) bonus and buying him a couple of new shirts. So now I have to drive. Or get a new driver. But I really can't face going through the whole rigmarole all over again.
Still, I wrote a very nice scene about a woman on the brink of suicide this morning.
So, all in all, it's been a cheery day!

No comments: