Saturday 7 August 2010

It's been a long week, during which...

As well as my scary moment on the way back from the meat shop, Hubby nearly got carted off by the military police the other night (you'll have to ask him about it - it involved a handful of army officers being bundled out of a local bar at gunpoint, and into the back of an open Landrover), but was home by bedtime, still in his new gear. I'm sure if I was feeling witty I could make some joke about them not being the military police, but the fashion police, having him on charges of wearing trousers inappropriate to his age group, or something. There is a joke in there somewhere, but I'm not sure I can find it...
Well, what a week of dramas it has been! Well, actually, only two dramas: the motorcyclist and the military police - unless you count Twin 2's occasional tummy ache as a drama, which she does.
A new family up the road have just arrived out from Nottingham, and emerged blinking, jet-lagged and slightly shell-shocked into their new posting. I don't think they have quite come to terms with Nepal yet. The wife of the new family says that they normally go out for a walk after supper, but when they tried that the other night, they were surrounded by packs of vaguely menacing street dogs and had to go home (not sure why the street dogs become menacing at night; all they do during the day is sleep, but as soon as the sun goes down they get all growly and feral) - welcome to Kathmandu!
Feeling better today, virus almost gone. This proves that what I had really was Wife flu (an attenuated version of the full-blown Man flu. Generally speaking, wife flu lasts half as long and is half as incapacitating as man flu, in my experience. For example, whilst Man flu will almost certainly necessitate and afternoon in bed at some point - or at the very least, much talk of how an afternoon in bed is what the patient really needs - wife flu generally only requires the children to have an extra DVD whilst the patient waits for the Brufen to kick in).
Sorry, I know I said I wouldn't mention man flu at all. It was just that today, when Hubby said that he needed to take it easy because he'd been in work all week, and dealing with jet lag too, I remembered that I had also had jet lag, been up in the night with ill children, had to deal with it still being school holidays and furthermore, been quite ill myself, thanks.
I guess it was one of those "Hang on, one cotton-picking moment, buster..." moments.
Anyway, we went out for supper and I had a big fat chocolate mousse for pudding, which, lets face it, would make me feel better even if I was suffering from bubonic plague (which I wasn't, but even if I was, I would still have had to look after ill and jet-lagged kids all week whilst hubby went out and got himself arrested without so much as a by-your-leave).
I have to forgive Hubby now, because he has just offered to bring me up a drink. So all my bitterness and recriminations about the last week will magically disappear with the first sip of a nice cool glass of ginger beer.
Should really go and try to book Dubai holiday again, but I am still a bit traumatised by my experience with the call centre last week, so may procrastinate a bit more.
Good night xx

2 comments:

allijulivert said...

But you never said what happened with the motorcycle man!

Hope you have fully recovered from wife flu and from holidays in the UK x x x

Amy Waif said...

well, that will have to be a mystery... how is your summer? Are you still on school hols? xx