Tuesday 24 August 2010

what a palaver

I had a call from another expat mum yesterday. She said one of her didis (a didi is the nepali word for aunty and is a generic term used for female household staff) had got a new job in Kathmandu (the expat mum lives in Pokhara) to be closer to her family. However, the didi - let's call her L - wasn't happy at all at her new place and wanted to leave. Did I know anyone who was looking for a didi, she asked? The expat mum had heard that one of my friends, Mrs V, was looking for a didi, so could I please ask if she'd be interested in taking on L, as L was having a terrible time with her new employer, a Mrs B of Sanepa.
So, after a long conversation about how lovely Didi L is and how Mrs B must be a bit of a slave driver, I agreed to ask Mrs V if she needed a didi.
This morning I saw Mrs V (whose daughter is also off school with lurgy) and asked her whether she needed a didi.
Mrs V said, no, she didn't, it was her friend who wanted a didi, because said friend was very unhappy with the one she had just taken on, who kept leaving work early, without asking, and complaining about the amount of work.
Mrs V said, yes, my friend needs a didi because she wants to get rid of her one, so she would be interested to hear from Didi L.
I asked what her friend's name is, so we could put the two in touch. She told me it's Mrs B of Sanepa.
Oh, the irony.
I wonder what the truth is: does Didi L really want to leave, or has Mrs B already threatened her with the sack? Is Mrs B a heartless slave driver or is Didi L a thankless good-for-nothing? And did the whole thing merit a twenty minute phone call with the distraught ex-employer from Pokhara last night?
Do you care?
Thought not.
Hubby says I should stop talking about staff. He thinks it sounds ridiculous. He's probably right.
But apart from that I can only talk about the rain (oh, god, the unceasing rain!) or the lurgy (oh, god, the unceasing lurgy!), so I don't think I'll bother.
What has it come to when the only conversation I have is about other people's issues with their maids?
Night, then x

3 comments:

allijulivert said...

Hello Amy dear,

This may be one of those rare occasions on which Mr. Waif is right ;) Talking about staff sounds hilarious from here. Makes it sound like you are living in Miss. Marple or something.

On another note, I too have had the recent joy of wearing Wellies during our holidays further north. Not only wellies, but stinging nettles and bracken - exciting stuff.

Hope you are all better from your most recent disease x x x

Amy Waif said...

I know, it's pretty sad, isn't it. But I have bog-all else to say! xxx

allijulivert said...

Not sad! Sort of funny and unreal and envy-inducing (especially when I am cleaning or washing or some horrible housewifely activity) :)