Wednesday 8 September 2010

no secrets!

Okay, I will write more often, then...Not sure how coherent it's likely to be tonight though, as I'm on my third G&T (I was trying to save the tins of tonic for a pre-Teej stiffener, but that's gone by the wayside - will just have to down it neat on the fast-approaching night).
Anyway, I had to have a bit of Dutch courage to Skype the Sunday Times magazine and pitch an idea for A Life in the Day feature.
It has been many, many years since I've pitched to a national (about ten, actually), so I thought a gin was in order.
Oh, don't give me that, it was 8pm over here, so perfectly respectable (the sun was well over the yard arm, as my mother would say).
You see, I have agreed with Hubby that I can't carry on in the manner-to-which-I have-become-accustomed once we're posted back to scary UK. I have to earn something, and much as I'd like to think I'll be a best-selling novelist by then, lets face it, the odds are against me. As the only thing I'm even remotely competent at is writing, then I guess I'll have to start freelancing again. So I thought I ought to try to get a couple of things in the cuttings file before the move.
Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on. It would be pretty cool to say, "I'm a novelist, and I also write for the Sunday Times" when people ask what I do - instead of saying, "I'm a trailing spouse". Sometimes I think I should just lie and say I'm "In development" like everyone else does (I suspect half of them are lying, too).
Oooh, that G&T is really quite tasty.
I had given up drinking in the evening (until today) in a vague bid to lose weight. But then I read in the Economist that all you have to do to lose weight is to drink a pint of water before each meal. It's scientifically proven, and what's more, it's in the Economist, so it must be true. So I drank a pint of water before supper (momos and chips) and now I'm about to pour my fourth G&T. Do you think it will work?
Hubby is away in Pokhara, so he is probably on his umpteenth whisky in the Amsterdam bar, so I don't feel remotely guilty. Plus, the kids are on half term tomorrow, so I don't have to get up at silly o'clock in the morning, hurrah. I'd say that merits another snifter, wouldn't you?
TTFN xxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Army Waif, you must have had a terribly busy week.How was the teej party?Everything it promised to be or not to be???

Looking forward to reading the latest in your blog.

Have a jolly good week.

Amy Waif said...

It was my third Teej, and, frankly, I knew what to expect from the raffle...what surprised me was how much more fun it was after the fourth gin - not to mention how much my Nepali dancing improved!